Saturday, August 04, 2012

Movie Adaptations I'd Love to See

I just recently came across a post by the bloggers over at Big Books Tiny Voices with a list of over 60 YA/MG book-to-movie adaptations that have been optioned or are already in the making. You'll have to pop over to their blog to see the full list and not all of these may actually be made into films, but I picked out 5 that I'd most love to watch on the big screen:
Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. Laini Taylor really has a way with words. Her unique, mellifluous writing style caught the attention of many readers, myself included. The book follows a fairly typical YA paranormal storyline but Taylor's lyrical and whimsical writing brought new life to an old plot. I really want to see the designs for the demon characters in the book; Taylor's writing is quite descriptive but seeing the characters would be a different experience.
Delirium by Lauren Oliver. I actually have this book out from the library right now and will be starting it soon. It's a YA dystopian that takes place in a world where love is a disease that must be eradicated, and before she has a chance to undergo treatment to prevent her from ever succumbing to the disease, the main character Lena falls in love. It's such an intriguing concept and I'm curious to see how the story plays out both in the book and on the movie screen.
The Giver by Lois Lowry. I actually played the Giver in a short film made by my friends and I in middle school as part of a class project, so there is a lot of nostalgia connected to this book for me. It was a lot of fun and nobody minded that a tiny Asian girl played the role of an old man... hahaha! Apparently Jeff Bridges has already been cast as the Giver... we'll see how his performance stacks up against mine! LOL
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien. After the breathtakingly awesome Lord of the Rings film trilogy, I'm sure a Hobbit adaptation will be equally stunning. Maybe this time I'll finally buck down and read through the book as well.
The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa. Although the book left some things to be desired (here's my review of it), I think it'll translate well as a movie; I've always thought that many of the scenes in the book have a very cinematic quality to them. Also, I have another reason for wanting to see this as a movie: I want to see an Asian actress playing the lead. Hollywood rarely makes movies with Asian protagonists, and if when they do, it tends to be with stereotypical characterizations. Allison, the main character of The Immortal Rules doesn't really fit into the typical Asian female stereotypes though, so I'm really interested in seeing what Hollywood does. Being of Asian heritage myself, I'm particularly invested in this.

No comments:

Post a Comment